Terra Nil is a reverse city builder with a focus on restoring the environment after human consumption has had a devastating impact on it. The game takes you through four different zones: temperate, tropical, polar and continental.
Finding animals in the reclaimed wastelands is one of the main elements of biome restoration in Terra Nil. Each of the zones have their own specific animals with their own requirements that will bring them back to the region. The game will not tell you where these animals are, however there are hints available in your handbook.
This guide will walk you through how to unlock the ability to find animals in Terra Nil and what the requirements are for each creature to move back to their region.
How To Find Animals In Terra Nil
Finding animals is part of the third and final stage of restoration, and it comes alongside recycling the machinery that you have introduced to the area. Once you have reintroduced the required amounts of flora and fauna to the area in stage two, you are able to purchase the Animal Observatory. This will allow you to scan for the animals who have returned.
Each animal has specific requirements that you will need to scan for. As you scan different areas, the information you have discovered so far will show up in your past sonar scan results. This area will also show you the clues that are available in your handbook to give you an idea of where to look.
To scan. select the large white circle with the symbol that resembles a C and then click on an area of the map. Repeat this until you have fully met the animal’s requirements.
If you do not know anything about the requirements, you will instead see a red circle with a question mark. If you have slightly but not completely met the requirements, the circle will turn yellow and will tell you a bit of information about what is needed. Once you have completely met the requirement the circle will turn green and you will see a check mark. For the animal to turn up in the area, all requirements must be fully met.
Each animal will have different requirements that need to be met before you will be able to find it. These can range from requiring specific flora and fauna in their habitat to being near other animals you have already unlocked.
Each region on the globe has six different animals for you to find and bring back to the area. You do not have to find all of them to continue playing, but you will need to unlock at least three to move forward.
There are six different animals that can be unlocked in the temperate region: beaver, deer, frog, timber wolf, brown bear, and goose.
Hint: This industrious rodent builds its home on a river near a forest.
- In range of at least 20 river tiles.
- In range of at least 10 forest tiles.
Hint: This grazer lives in herds on wide open grassland.
- In range of at least 20 greenery tiles.
Hint: This small amphibian lives in the reeds of a wetland near a fynbos field.
- In range of at least 10 Wetland tiles.
- In range of at least 5 Fynbos tiles.
Hint: This predator prowls in a forest near to a source of prey.
- In range of at least 15 forest tiles.
- In range of a group of Deer
In order to unlock timber wolves, you will need to ensure there is a green space open next to a forest so that the necessary deer can spawn there.
Hint: This large caniform’s domain is a forest which contains a beehive and is on a hill.
- In range of at least 20 forest tiles.
- On a hill at least 20 tiles in size.
- In range of a beehive.
Hint: This web-footed waterfowl rests in a large lake when it is not flying.
- In a lake with a radius of at least 4 tiles
It is unlikley that a lake with the correct dimensions (minimum 4 x 4) will occur naturally, so you may need to use the excavator to dig out a wider riverbed where you want the geese to spawn.
There are six different animals that can be unlocked in the tropical region: parrot, tortoise, flamingo, reef shark, manta ray, and whale.
Hint: This colourful bird makes its home in lush forest canopies beneath clear skies.
- In range of at least 20 tropical forest tiles.
- No buildings in range.
Hint: This beach-dwelling reptile lives on an island where it can retreat into its shell.
- In range of at least 10 Beach tiles.
- On a small island.
Hint: This wader combs for food among the sand of beaches and the mud of wetlands.
- In range of at least 10 beach tiles.
- In range of at least 10 wetland tiles
Hint: This aquatic predator lives in both dense coral and in the waters of mangrove forests.
- In range of at least 16 coral reef tiles.
- In range of at least 4 mangrove tiles.
- Temperature at 20 Celsius or higher.
You can raise the temperature by placing the combuster device on a rock. This will burn the area immediately surrounding it but the fire will not continue to spread.
Hint: This unusually shaped creature glides in the ocean near river estuaries and coral reefs.
- In range of at least 8 ocean tiles.
- In range of at least 6 coral reef tiles.
- In range of at least 3 river tiles.
Hint: This large pelagic mammal swims in the deep waters of the ocean, far from land.
- In range of at least 20 ocean tiles.
- In an area of deep ocean at least 10 tiles in size.
- No land in range.
There are six different animals that can be unlocked in the polar region: arctic fox, elk, penguin, snowy owl, narwhal, and polar bear.
Hint: This vulpine predator is camouflaged in the snow and prowls the tundra plains.
- In range of at least 10 snow tiles.
- In range of at least 5 tundra tiles.
Hint: This herbivore searches beneath the snow for edible lichen and plants.
- In range of at least 6 lichen tiles.
- In range of at least 20 snow tiles.
Hint: From its home on the ice, this flightless bird takes to the ocean in its search for fish.
- In range of at least 16 ice sheet tiles.
- In range of at least 10 ocean tiles.
Hint: This strigiform roosts in boreal forests and soars over the open tundra.
- In range of at least 10 forest tiles.
- In range of at least 10 tundra tiles.
Hint: This tusk-bearing whale swims in cold ocean waters and under the ice.
- In range of at least 20 ocean tiles.
- In range of at least 4 ice sheet tiles.
- Temperature at -10 Celsius or lower.
You can lower the temperature of the area by using the flash freezer. This can be placed on land to create snow or near the water to create ice.
Hint: This large predator wanders its snowy territory next to the ocean, near a source of prey.
- In range of at least 16 snow tiles.
- In range of at least 6 ocean tiles.
- In range of a group of elk.
In order to unlock polar bears, you will need to ensure there is are rocks that lichen can grow on by the water so that you can spawn elk. You may need to use the flash freezer here to create snow.
There are six different animals that can be unlocked in the continental region: boar, sea otter, peacock, turtle, eagle, and panda.
Hint: This widespread suiform roots for tubers in the undergrowth of a deciduous forest.
- In range of at least 8 greenery tiles.
- In range of at least 12 deciduous forest tiles.
Hint: This endangered marine mammal darts among the fronds of a kelp forest.
- In range of at least 12 ocean tiles.
- In range of at least 12 kelp forest tiles.
Hint: This resplendent fowl struts on wide open grasslands.
- In range of at least 24 greenery tiles.
Hint: This shell-bearing reptile frolics in a large lagoon.
- In range of at least 20 lagoon tiles.
Hint: This fierce raptor makes its eyrie in a tall structure, near to a source of prey.
- In range of at least 6 derelict skyscraper tiles.
- In range of group of boar.
Hint: This gentle giant happily gnaws bamboo near a glade.
- In range of at least 20 bamboo tiles.
- In range of at least 6 greenery tiles.
These are the requirements needed to unlock every animal in all four areas of Terra Nil. What is your favorite animal in the game? Comment below and let us know!