I will be the first to admit that I don’t get the need to censor games between Japan and the rest of the world, as the saying goes what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, and it makes less sense the more the years go by. Yet, they still find a need to censor these games as evident by Nintendo and Atlus’s new collaboration Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE where a number of changes were made to the game. Still even with the censorship I still don’t find a concern it does not ruin the game, but people will still complain which a group of people have gone ahead to fix it themselves.
These people were annoyed at the censorship and have opted to fix it so they can have the game they wanted, they sought to restore all elements of the original game including characters ages, and even characters being in their underwear, and they have even released a custom patch for the game that is now an option for those interested.
Unlike more traditional patches you will need to jump through a few more hoops to get this and you will need to follow the instructions here to do so. However I should note that doing this can impact the games save files if you mess up even slightly, so you have been warned.
In case you are still interested here is the change log for this un-censoring of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, titled Reincarnation ver. 0.9.1:
- Reverted costumes back to Bikinis, also changing the menu icons back and their original names and descriptions.
- Completely redid Chapter 2 and a few other small files to return references to Gravure Modelling, this also uses the original voice files.
- Fixed any map changes relating to pictures in dungeons that were changed.
- Swapped the English files out for Japanese versions for retranslated files.
- Healing points no longer come in envelopes.
- Changed Profiles to reflect the character’s real ages and change back references to Gravure Modeling.
- Reverted any censored prerendered Cutscene files.