Every Thursday we share the weekly Famitsu sales charts, which tracks physical boxed game sales and hardware sales in Japan. This week’s chart covers Jan. 16 – Jan. 22, and Fire Emblem Engage‘s debut sales of 144,000 units has finally managed to topple Pokémon Scarlet and Violet from the top spot. Whilst Fire Emblem Engage did sell well, its sales leave something to be desired in terms of growth. Fire Emblem Engage sold just 1,000 copies more than Fire Emblem: Three Houses, back in July of 2019.
Fire Emblem Engage tried hard to appeal to existing fans of the franchise, with the player able to summon previous protagonists from past games. Despite this, the tiny increase in sales, four years from the past entry, could suggest a lack of series newcomers with the latest installment. We do not have any digital figures for the game, so as ever it’s possible the game sold big digital download numbers. As for the rest of the gaming top 10, it’s the standard fare of the heavy hitting Nintendo titles, and an appearance from Sony’s Gran Turismo 7 squeaking in #9.
Meanwhile on the hardware charts, the Switch fell to 51,000 units sold, a drop of 23,000 from last week despite the high-profile Fire Emblem Engage launch. The PlayStation 5 managed to pick up some steam, selling 42,000 consoles, a huge improvement on last year’s 19,000 in the same period.
Here’s the full Famitsu gaming sales chart for Jan. 16 – Jan. 22. Missed last week’s chart where the Switch crossed 28 million sales? Check it out right here.
- Fire Emblem Engage (Switch): 144,558 weekly / debut
- Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (Switch): 43,983 weekly / 4,739,035 total
- Splatoon 3 (Switch): 16,091 weekly / 3,833,699 total
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch): 13,857 weekly / 5,115,176 total
- Nintendo Switch Sports (Switch): 9,220 weekly / 978,511 total
- Minecraft (Switch): 8,146 weekly / 3,016,620 total
- Mario Party Superstars (Switch): 6,009 weekly / 1,157,864 total
- Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa… (Switch): 5,942 weekly / 2,830,215 total
- Gran Turismo 7 (PS5): 5,468 weekly / 267,222 total
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch): 5,327 weekly / 5,105,655 total
Did you expect a bigger debut for Fire Emblem Engage, or does this seem about right? Let us know in the comments below, and keep your eyes on GameLuster for more gaming news and sales data.