Gamescom 2020 has come to an end, but what's a significant trade show without some awards? And heading up the list of award-winning games is CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077.
The upcoming first-person RPG snagged the Best of Gamescom Award, as well as Best PC Game, Best Sony PlayStation Game, Best Roleplaying Game, and the "Most Wanted" Consumer Award.
The full list of awards and their winners are as follows:
- Best of Gamescom - Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt RED)
- Best PC Game - Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt RED)
- Best Microsoft Xbox Game - Tell Me Why (Microsoft)
- Best Nintendo Switch Game - Little Nightmares 2 (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
- Best Sony Playstation Game - Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt RED)
- Best Family Game - KeyWe (Stonewheat & Sons)
- Best Ongoing Game - Borderlands 3 (2K Games)
- Best Racing Game - DIRT5 (Codemasters)
- Best Remaster - Mafia: Definitive Edition (2K Games)
- Best Role-Playing Game - Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt RED)
- Best Simulation - Project CARS 3 (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
- Best Sports Game - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (Activision)
- Best Strategy Game - Humankind (Amplitude Studios & SEGA Europe)
- Most Original Game - Voidtrain (Hypetrain Digital)
- Best Action-Adventure Game - Watch Dogs: Legion (Ubisoft)
- Best Action Game - Star Wars: Squadrons (Electronic Arts)
- Best Indie Game - Curious Expedition 2 (Maschinen-Mensch)
- Best Multiplayer Game - Operation: Tango (Clever Plays)
- Most Wanted Hardware/Technology - Xbox Series X (Microsoft)
- Best Announcement - Unknown 9: Awakening (Reflector Entertainment)
- Best Lineup - Bandai Namco Entertainment
- Best Presentation/Trailer - Little Nightmares 2 (Tarsier Studios)
- Best Show - World of Tanks Blitz Gamescom Stream (Wargaming)
- Best Streamer - Erik “Gronkh” Range
- Gamescom “Most Wanted” Consumer Award - Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt RED)
- HEART OF GAMING Award (Special Jury Prize) - Indie Arena Booth (Super Crowd Entertainment)
While these are not definitive for "Game of The Year" standings, it indeed suggests Cyberpunk 2077 is the strongest contender so far.
Also of particular note is the "Heart of Gaming Award," a special jury prize awarded to Super Crowd Entertainment for their efforts in scratching together an MMO-type interface for virtual attendees to experience the array of indie games being put on at Gamescom, an impressive feat given the tight timeframe involved.
Hopefully, next year's event will be just as exciting without all the stress of a pandemic behind it.