Overwatch 2 is here, and the sequel to the popular shooter has players teaming up with both familiar faces such as Reaper and Hanzo and encountering new allies like Kiriko and the Junker Queen. However, the launch of Overwatch 2 coincided with the shutdown of service for the original Overwatch. Luckily, gamers who played the first game can import their progress and cosmetic items into Overwatch 2 simply by linking and merging accounts. That way, players will not have to re-earn items such as skins, sprays, and even heroes that they unlocked in the original Overwatch. Plus, merging accounts will enable cross-progression across all linked platforms.
This guide will cover how to import Overwatch progress into Overwatch 2 and how to merge accounts so that items and progress are carried over. It will cover account linking and merging on all platforms where Overwatch 2 is available: Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S. By following the steps in this guide, you will be able to play Overwatch 2 on your desired platform with full access to items from the original Overwatch.
Linking Overwatch 2 Accounts on PC
All players will require a Battle.net account in order to play Overwatch 2. If you played the original Overwatch on PC, you likely already have a Battle.net account. If you intend to play Overwatch 2 exclusively on PC, you do not need to do anything. Simply visit the “Accounts” page on Battle.net and ensure all information is correct. Your Overwatch items and skins should show up in Overwatch 2 shortly. If they do not, you can contact Blizzard Support here.
If you need to link PC and console accounts via Battle.net in order to activate cross-progression for Overwatch 2, the following steps will allow you to do so:
- Log in to your Battle.net account
- Select “Connections” and then “Add Account.” You will have the option to add a Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, or Xbox account. You can also add all three accounts at once
- Log into Overwatch 2 on your PC
- From the main menu, select “Account Merge.” Once you have confirmed that your accounts are correct, you can complete the account merge.
- Your accounts will be linked and any items and progress should show up soon. If they do not, contact Blizzard Support.
Linking Overwatch 2 Accounts on Console
If you played the original Overwatch on console and intend to do the same with Overwatch 2, you may first need to create a Battle.net account. Once you have done this, you can proceed with the account merge. Perform the following steps to create a Battle.net account and link any other accounts associated with Overwatch or Overwatch 2.
- Log in to Overwatch 2 on your console of choice
- Using a mobile device, scan the QR code that appears on screen
- When prompted, enter the code displayed on your console to link that console to Battle.net
- Log in to Overwatch 2 a second time on the same console
- Confirm the console account that you wish to link
- Your accounts will be linked and any items and progress should show up soon. If they do not, contact Blizzard Support
How Many Overwatch 2 Accounts Can You Link?
Before confirming, make sure that you are selecting the correct Overwatch and Overwatch 2 accounts that you wish to merge. You can only merge ONE account from each platform. For example, you can merge one PlayStation, one Xbox, and one PC account, but you cannot merge three PC accounts or two PlayStation accounts.
You can always choose to un-link previously linked accounts via Battle.net. However, keep in mind that, after doing so, there will be a one year waiting period before you can link any new Overwatch or Overwatch 2 account to Battle.net.
Further information regarding exactly which items, statistics, rankings, and achievements will transfer to Overwatch 2 can be found on the official cross-progression FAQ on Blizzard’s website.
Have you been enjoying Overwatch 2? Are you sticking to a tried and true favorite hero, or trying out one of the new playable characters? What do you think about the new account merging and cross-progression systems? Comment below and let us know! Also, make sure to check out GameLuster’s other guides for helpful tips and tricks for a wide variety of games!