Every Thursday we share the weekly Famitsu sales charts, which tracks physical boxed game sales and hardware sales in Japan. This week’s chart covers August 28 – September 3, as Pikmin 4 makes a surprising return to the top spot of the charts. Selling an additional 34,000 units this week, Pikmin 4 sales actually increased from last week’s 31,000 copies sold.
As Pikmin 4 rises however, Armored Core VI sees a sharp fall in its second week. The PS5 version of the game sold just shy of 19,000 copies, an 83.7% drop from last week. Meanwhile, the PS4 version fell by 77%, from 48,000 copies sold last week to just 11,000 this week. The PS4 version likely saw a less sharp drop as it started from a lower number to begin with. These figures aren’t great, especially given that 2012’s Armored Core V dropped 81% in its second week, a lesser drop than Armored Core VI on PS5.
As always, it’s worth remembering that the gaming landscape now is a different place than it was in 2012. These are just physical sales figures, and only in Japan. Armored Core VI has seen commercial success around the world, and digital sales are much more popular now than they were over a decade ago. No matter how it performs in Japan, the franchise can still be seen as a win for FromSoftware, especially in diversifying their game development catalogue.
Here’s the full Famitsu software sales chart for August 28 – September 3. Missed last week’s report when Armored Core VI debuted? Check out the last Famitsu chart right here!
- Pikmin 4 (Switch): 34,240 [786,833 total]
- Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PS5): 18,801 [134,194 total]
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch): 11,488 [5,465,329 total]
- Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PS4): 10,903 [58,852 total]
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch): 7,206 [1,847,948 total]
- Minecraft (Switch): 7,202 [3,250,643 total]
- Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (Switch): 5,563 [5,111,980 total]
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch): 5,471 [5,276,341 total]
- Mario Party Superstars (Switch): 4,393 [1,293,703 total]
- Splatoon 3 (Switch): 4,387 [4,102,326 total]
Here’s the Famitsu hardware chart too. Console families are grouped together for simplicity.
- Switch: 83,222 [2,767,120 yearly total]
- PS5: 52,093 [1,902,631 yearly total]
- Xbox Series: 6,685 [94,041 yearly total]
Did you pick up any games on the chart this week? What do you think of Armored Core VI‘s second week performance? Let us know in the comments below, and keep your eyes on GameLuster for more breaking news, reviews and more.