Every Thursday we share the weekly Famitsu sales charts, which tracks physical boxed game sales and hardware sales in Japan. This week’s chart covers Feb. 27 – March 05, and the PlayStation 5 has crossed a major sales milestone. Selling an additional 78,000 systems this week, Sony’s PS5 has now crossed three million sales in Japan. These sales come amidst a global explosion of PS5 console sales, seeing year-on-year sales booms of up to 436%. It may have taken a while to get here, but next-gen has truly taken off.
As for game sales, Nintendo rules the charts as is typical with the mega successful Switch. Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe keeps the top spot for a second week with 62,000 copies sold, a decent 67% drop from last week’s debut. A major Nintendo entry can be seen at #10 with Metroid Prime Remastered, with just shy of 8,000 copies sold. This may seem small, but for a Metroid release in Japan, also being weeks after its digital debut, this is a solid entry point on the charts. There’s another good debut this week with Team Ninja’s Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty releasing at #2 for PS5 and #4 for PS4.
Here’s the full Famitsu gaming sales chart for Feb. 27 – March 05. Missed last week’s chart where Kirby went mouthful mode? Check it out right here.
- Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Switch): 62,581 weekly (251,612 total)
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (PS5): 30,132 weekly (debut)
- Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (Switch): 24,592 weekly (4,908,398 total)
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (PS4): 17,699 weekly (debut)
- Rune Factory 3 Special (Switch): 16,627 weekly (debut)
- Splatoon 3 (Switch): 14,766 weekly (3,918,766 total)
- Octopath Traveler II (Switch): 14,085 weekly (68,080 total)
- Hogwarts Legacy (PS5): 13,449 weekly (139,535 total)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch): 10,295 weekly (5,183,660 total)
- Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch): 7,960 (debut)
Here’s the Famitsu hardware chart too. Console families are grouped together for simplicity. Our yearly data comes from our friends over on InstallBase!
- PS5: 78,412 weekly (679,723 yearly total)
- Switch: 66,525 weekly (715,669 yearly total)
- PS4: 1,655 weekly (15,782 yearly total)
- Xbox Series: 848 weekly (31,755 yearly total)
Did you pick up any games this week? Let us know in the comments below, and keep your eyes on GameLuster for more gaming news and sales data.